Sunday, October 19, 2008

INSIDEOUTSIDE

INSIDEOUTSIDE


Sunday Afternoon October 19th 2008 @ 4.15 pm





I'd fallen asleep, in my recliner, watching a quite interesting program on Vermont Public Television , about Barack Obama and John McCain's lives.


Of course you never seem to recall falling asleep, for it's the awakening that you experience.


First the sounds of voices. Barack and John are done with, replaced by a wonderful program about the Adirondacks and their early 1900's luxurious camps. The visual images are profound as the commentator's and particpants' pleasing voices describe the scenes before me.


The combination of Sunday afternoon, a quiet street, the golden leaves of fall outside blowing in the gusty wind, stripping the maple tree and scattering flashes of golden leaves through the afternoon sun streaming through the windows, enhancing manyfold the lovely colors and shapes of my 'treasures' that I have in every nook and cranny of my apartment.


I call this corner (actually half the small room) my insideoutside room for, to me, it resembles the bridge on a ship from where I can not only draw from the activity, color and light from outside on St Paul Sreet but the light and colors out there seem to blend magically into the room, even incorporating the image on the TV.


To some this is probably a claustrophobic nightmare but, to me, it is my child's delight, a tumbling together of many experiences and memories, combined with the artist's eye for 'juxtaposition' (wonderful word), color and form.


It please me greatly and to awaken slowly, warm and comfortable, almost welded to the chair, is an experience in the process of transforming itself from the surreal to the real.


For a while I cannot move as my body and mind come back into a state of consciousness. As my mind begins to click back into gear I feel regret that some of the day has slipped away from me, especially on such a sunny one, but then, gradually, I accept the scene before me and my attention is drawn, as if changing the focal length of my eye, from outside the house to the plane of visual images before me and eventually resting where I lay resting.


It is a strange experience of boundaries merging and disappearing, blending into panorama.
Very pleasing.
































No comments: