Friday, August 15, 2014

PET PEEVE #1:


'..., IF YOU WILL....'

 
 
 

'If you will' is my most hated expression that many Americans have employed over the past years. It has spread like the proverbial wildfire.
 
 I agree with the attached, amusing 'derivation'. Basically it is a sneaky way of suggesting that the listener is buying into whatever concept is being discussed (see the attached cartoon's ' "If you will" What ? Accept the words you chose to say ? What if they won't ?'). But it's too late, what the speaker is expounding is already stuck on your forehead !

There is also this erroneous concept over here that if you speak with an affected, posh English accent then somehow this gives 'added value' to your utterances.
 
GMAFB !!!
 
 
One attempt at justifying the phrases use is...'It means that the speaker acknowledges that his use of the word gimmick in this case could be challenged and that he is asking for the listener's indulgence to let him call it that. So yes, it is short for "if you will indulge me." I tend to think it's more a case of 'I'm going to indulge myself, much as it may offend you.
 
Bleccchhh!
 

No comments: